All You Need to Know About Me Here....

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

God dag Kjære venner ... Good Day Dear Friends...

 Hello My dear friends and Happy Syttende Mai!



Today is Norway's Constitution Day, or Syttende Mai (Seventeenth of May). To me it is such a joy to be a Norwegian descendant. Technically I am only 2nd full generation American on my father's side and 3rd generation on my maternal Grandmother's side. My paternal grandparents came from Norway as did my maternal grandmother's parents. It is something we hold dear and celebrate!



A little explanation for my Non-Norwegian friends.  Under Swedish rule, Norway signed their own Constitution on 17 May, 1814 and even though Norway did not achieve full independence until 1864,  Syttende Mai is still the day we celebrate. My cousin, Anna, has a fantastic explanation on her site...A Messy Indulgence  Go over and check it out! :)


I am proud to be a Norwegian American, even if I don't eat lutefisk or rommegrot!  Look for pictures of our local festival to be coming soon.....


Må Gud velsigne dere, mine kjære venner, hver og en! Happy Syttende Mai!
(Translation: May God bless you my Dear Friends, each and every one! Happy Syttende Mai! )

3 comments:

  1. Awwww...look at you sending peeps over to read me. You so sweet. You Norwegian better than me too!! I learning though!
    I love you honey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow; this is an older post of yours but I just found you on Pinterest. I am also a Norwegian descendant. Both sides of my grandparents were born and raised in Norway. I've been there to visit once but hope to return. I am also a Christian. Good to 'meet' you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to meet you too Debbie! My grandparents came from Norway and we celebrate Syttende Mai every year in my home town in Wisconsin! :) Stop in and visit any time! :)

    ReplyDelete

God's many blessings on you!
Sheila