All You Need to Know About Me Here....

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Loving on my Yard!


As many of you know, I am in the process of trying to by my parent’s home. This is the home I grew up in and I am so excited to have it for my little family. My beloved Mama passed away 4 years ago and my father has since remarried. He and his new wife decided that they needed a smaller house with fewer steps and a smaller yard, sidewalk and driveway. It was getting to be too much to take care of. None of us wanted the house to go, and I am the only one of the children in the position to be able to potentially buy it, so I am doing my best to do just that! I am praying hard about this because financially it will definitely be a stretch, but the Lord will provide a way if it is meant to be.




 I love this house. I love the rooms inside, the basement, and the garage. I love the feeling of home and roots and belonging. The town I live in is only about 800 people, and I love knowing my neighbors and having people honk and wave as they go by the house. It makes my heart happy when people stop to visit because they see us out in the yard or on the front porch. But one of the things I love most is the yard and the ability to be outdoors again and not feel like my neighbors are right on top of us. We have space to spread out and breath. 

 





There is a double lot with the house so we have plenty of room for kids, grandkids (eventually) and pets. I can have all the gardens I want…vegetable, flower, herbs! And fruit trees, grape vines and berry patches! I have a clothes line that I want to expand and a shed that will make an awesome gardening shed now that I don’t need it so much for storage! There is a spot for a sandbox and room for a fire pit and of course my dad’s famous horseshoe pits! I am so excited for spring! I want to put a tire swing in the walnut tree and maybe eventually a playhouse (for little ones who may need such a place some day).

My parents let the vegetable garden go back to yard in the last few years. Mama just couldn’t care for it anymore, but I plan on digging it back up soon and having a royal feast later this summer! I can’t wait to put my canner and pressure cooker to work in the fall! Corn and beans and peas, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers, carrots and watermelons! I will be putting in berry patches and grape vines too, but I am not sure if anything will come the first year. There is an apple tree already and I plan on adding more so that we will have a small orchard along the back lot line. Maybe pear trees too, along with rhubarb! Yummy! So much abundance to come!

My dad was an avid flower gardener and there are flower gardens in every corner of the yard! Front yard, side yard, behind the garage, at the end of the horseshoe pits, and in the far corner of the lot. They are everywhere and I can’t WAIT to see what comes up and add my own touches and ideas! Princess Pea and I already planted Daffodils, Irises, and Tulips to come up this spring! She is excited to check their progress. Yesterday she discovered that the tulips she planted with her Grandma several years ago are still growing and will bloom again this spring! My favorites, the lilacs, are already starting to bud! We have 5 big bushes of them!
 
 
 
 

And because of all the tree cover, there are the birds. Oh my Mama loved birds and fed them all year round! We have finches, mourning doves, sparrows, black-capped chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, tufted titmice, nuthatches, juncos, and woodpeckers. There are feeders in the trees and right next to the kitchen window. Soon we will have the orioles and the hummingbirds too. I could sit for hours and watch them. What the birds don’t eat, the bunnies and squirrels sneak away. We also feed those furry little critters, but I am starting to second guess that thought as I think we may have peanuts growing in our yard this summer!



The view from our yard is just spectacular! No matter what season it is or what direction you look, the view takes my breath away. In spring, the hills turn this beautiful color of green, bursting at the seams with new growth. In the summer, the dark green leaves and evergreens fill the hillsides. Autumn brings a blaze of orange and red and yellow and in winter, the trees hang heavy with their burden of glistening white snow. Looking out one window I can see the neighbor’s fields stretching to the hillside and out the other I can see the steeple of the church where my beautiful Mama is laid to rest. And of course, don’t forget to look up. In a town of this size, with very few street lights, the stars are amazing!

I love our home and especially our yard. I hope you enjoyed the tour and will come back to visit! I can’t wait to show you my flowers in bloom!  God’s Abundant Blessings to you my Friend….

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's many blessings on you!
Sheila