All You Need to Know About Me Here....

Friday, January 16, 2015

Family Roots

4 Generations have graduated from our high school
Holey Family about 1942
The town I live in is full of my family history. We may not be the "big name" in town, or have all the money, or know the right people, but my family has been here for 5 generations (or more). I have relatives buried in nearly every cemetery in the area and you can hardly turn a corner without a family story being told. "So and so lived there..." "Remember when we....".  My children are the fourth generation to graduate from our high school.

Several years before my Mama passed away, she and her sister came to me and asked for computer help to search for a long lost relative. It was when Google was just starting and they weren't sure how to use it. We typed in some information and soon we were going back generations!

Martin and Maria Smeby Family
Now, granted, this particular branch of our family tree is large, prestigious on the East Coast and nobility in Scotland, ensuring there are many records and a proliferation of information. I was able to trace my maternal grandfather's family (on both his mother and father's side) back many generations and found many stories of notable and notorious relatives, including a pirate, noblemen, soldiers, and even a Vice President.

Family Stories
I have relatives who are helping me do the same on my maternal grandmother's side. And my father's side is already done. It is amazing to hear the stories, to see the pictures, to piece together the lives of those that have gone before me. It gives me a sense of belonging, giving me a knowledge of who I am and where I came from!



Family Tree
There is something to be said for appreciating where your family comes from and thankfully I have been dubbed the Family Historian.  Relatives send me pictures, old letters, and stories. I have funeral cards, obituaries and birth notices.  I have copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates, wills, land titles and census records, all tracing my family back through the years.

And now, Princess Pea's social studies teacher has assigned a project creating a family tree. The more generations she can add, the more extra credit she can get. I told her she has an unfair advantage. She laughed and said "I know". She wants to ask her teacher if she can just bring in my books and binders instead of drawing it all out on a piece of tag board. We will figure something out I'm sure.

Princess' Project
In the meantime, we will put it on the tag board and squeeze in as many as we can. And I get the pleasure of teaching my beautiful daughter all about her heritage. I love to see her engaged and excited about this project. I love her asking the questions, her eyes lighting up to hear stories. Praying she will be the next family historian!

My Parents with their Grandchildren
3 Generations, My mom, Princess Pea, and me








1 comment:

  1. I love your family!! Wonder why? Great post...as usual. <3.

    ReplyDelete

God's many blessings on you!
Sheila